Forgive me readers, it has been many months since my last blog.
And in that time…
- I’ve won a new Saints shirt on Twitter courtesy of Carling.
- Kitty and I have come up with an idea for a rude version of a classic board game.
- I’ve helped form a brand new softball team in Southampton, the Redbridge Raiders.
- I seem to have developed Obstructive Sleep Apnoea.
- I’m being made redundant from my role at Aviva.
- I’m going to start a podcast.
- I reminisced about this old blog post when I bought my new Mac Book Pro.
- I’ve designed a bunch of posters that I aim to start selling online.
- I’ve been the victim of fraud, but thankfully the money has been refunded.
One of those things has been on my mind lately and now seems like as good as time as any to get the thoughts out of my mind and into the world.
Potentially losing your job is never a fun thing, even if it’s a job you don’t particularly enjoy. There’s the mortgage, credit card and other bills to pay each month and the prospect of losing half the household income can make things a little uneasy. Kitty went through a redundancy herself just after we got married, fortunately she got a new job pretty quickly and we were fine. But there’s always that chance things could end up worse.
But could this situation turn into a positive? Could it be the springboard for me to get out of a job I’m not entirely happy in and move onto something else? Well that’s what I’m hoping, seeing as I received the news that I had been unsuccessful in the selection process for my role. And do you know what? I was glad I didn’t get it, I was actually relieved. This is probably the kick up the backside that I’ve been needing for some time!
I’m now waiting to find out when I’ll be leaving, as I’ve asked for payment in lieu of notice and am waiting to see if they’ll give it to me. But after over 9 years my Aviva career is at an end. I will miss my colleagues, well some of them anyway (a few of them in particular) and I’m sure my last day, whenever it comes, will be a sad one. But the next day will be a happy one, it will be the start of a new chapter in my life and I’m determined to make it a good one.
Wish me luck!